The recipe makes use of the whole of the orange, frugal, but also providing more fibre and phytonutients in particular d-limoinene, which has positive health benefits.
I have taken a quarter of the sugar out of the recipe which I think still makes a very acceptable cake.
It needs to be kept in the fridge and eaten within 3-4 days.
This quantity is enough to make two small cakes so one can always be frozen for later use.
Each cake providing 6-8 slices.
- 2 Large Oranges
- 150g caster sugar
- 200g ground almonds
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 6 eggs
Optional; Dark Chocolate
- Put the whole oranges in a pan and cover with water.Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 2 hours. Keep an eye on the water level and top up if necessary. Remove from water and allow to cool.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C /350°F gas mark 4. Grease and line 2 x 23cm(9in) cake tin.
- Cut the oranges up and remove the pips. Put the oranges in a food processor with all the remaining ingredients and blitz until well mixed.
- Divide the mixture between the two tins and spread evenly. Bake for 30-40 minutes until risen and firm to the touch. Cool and then transfer to a wire rack.
- Melt small amount of dark chocolate and drizzle over the cake.