Chia seeds as well as wonderfully nutritious provide a functionality which is utilised in these quick and easy puddings. The nutritional content of these makes then an ideal pudding for every day.
- Coconut Milk I can approx. 400g
- Chia seeds 60g
- Fair trade Cocoa Powder 60g
- 1 Banana
- Added sweetness if required: e.g. 1tblsp honey 3or4 dates(if using blender)
If you have a good blender put all the ingredients in the blender and blend until smooth. Decant into individual ramekins or something similar. The quicker you do this the thinner the mixer will be and the easier to pour. Leave in a fridge for 1hr. To help clean your jug I always add some water or milk and blend into a frothy chocolate milk shake – cooks perks.
If you don’t have a blender, mash the banana and combine with the other ingredients, allow the seeds to swell – takes 10-15 minutes – and mix again before decanting into individual ramekins or leave in the bowl. Leave in fridge for 1hr.
The above was a half batch, I often make this when doing a curry and put the other half of the tin of coconut milk in the curry. Tins of coconut milk require a good mix before using though. I have recently found a brand of coconut milk by Grace, which comes in tetra-packs available on the internet and half the price of tinned coconut milk.
Other flavour ideas are berries, orange and chocolate, vanilla and chocolate.
Nutrient Density per 75g portion
- there is 1.8g of omega 3 fatty acid ( α-linolenic acid (ALA)) there is currently no RDA for omega 3 but this is a good amount
- about 25% of a women’s daily requirement of Magnesium
- 1/5 of the daily fibre requirement