Experimental along a Paleo theme: this takes up the sweetness from beetroots and uses a mixture of cocoa, coconut and ground almonds as a “flour”. Making it packed full of antioxidants and with a low glycaemic load.
I try not to use too many ingredients and go for as simple a method as possible, as we’re all way too busy to make cakes. I do use the food processor to grate the beetroot this way you can get a really fine grate but its not very cave man, a normal grater will do.
Makes 12 individual cakes
- 125g/ 1 1/2 Cups of grated beetroot
- 2 eggs
- 40g/ 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 40g/ 1/2 cup ground almonds
- 40g/ 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 50g/ 2 tblsp coconut oil
- 1-2 tblsp honey
- 1tsp baking powder
- Put all ingredients into a bowel except for the coconut oil and honey.
- Melt the coconut oil and honey together and add to the other ingredients beat all together well to form a loose cake mixture.
- Put into a well oiled muffin tin.
- Cook for 15-20 mins @180C/350F/Gas Mark 4
- Allow to cool and try not to eat all at once!